Dissolution of Marriage

Dissolution of Marriage, commonly referred to as divorce, is a process that will affect every aspect of your life both legally and emotionally. While you have the option of filing your divorce and representing yourself, it is best to have the guidance of an attorney to ensure that your divorce is fair and that you do not experience unintended consequences after the divorce is finalized.

The issues that can arise in a divorce in the State of Florida include:

  • Parenting - establishing a parenting plan and time sharing schedule.

  • Equitable Distribution - dividing the marital assets and liabilities.

  • Alimony - establishing support payments if one party has a need and the other has the ability to pay.

  • Child Support - calculating child support under the Florida guidelines and addressing child care, health insurance, and uncovered medical expenses.

  • Attorney’s Fees - establishing if one party should be responsible for all or part of the other party’s fees.

    Uncontested Divorce

    An uncontested divorce means the parties have agreed to the terms of their divorce and are ready to formalize it through an agreement known as a marital settlement agreement.  It is critical that your marital settlement agreement clearly states the agreed upon terms of the divorce.  Using an experienced attorney will help you avoid pitfalls that may arise after your divorce is finalized.  The Law Office of Debra M. Salisbury, P.A. can represent you in your uncontested divorce.

    Contested Divorce

    A contested divorce is when the parties cannot initially agree upon the terms of their divorce and one party begins the litigation process by filing and serving the other party with a petition to dissolve the marriage.  If you are thinking about getting a divorce or you have been served with a petition, you need to think about your long term goals, as well as how to handle short term practical problems such as who is going to live where, interim child support or alimony, or time sharing with the children.  The Law Office of Debra M. Salisbury, P.A. has the experience to guide you through contested divorce litigation.            


    The needs of a party or the ability of a party to meet their obligations under an agreement or court order may change after a divorce has been finalized.  In cases where there are children, the children’s needs may change.  It may be possible to modify the marital settlement agreement, parenting plan, child support, or alimony.  The Law Office of Debra M. Salisbury, P.A. can review the facts of your case and determine if there is a substantial change in circumstances to support a modification.  Additionally, if you have been served with a petition to modify we can assist you through all phases of modification.


    When a former spouse fails to honor the terms in a marital settlement agreement, or they stop paying alimony or child support, it can be especially frustrating to the spouse that is complying with the agreement.  There are legal remedies available to enforce the provisions of an agreement or court order.  In some situations, if a person is willfully disobeying a court order he or she can be found in contempt and may face fines or imprisonment.  If you need assistance with enforcement or if you have been accused of violating an agreement, court order, or final judgment, the Law Office of Debra M. Salisbury Law, P.A. can assist you through this difficult process.